May 20, 2024

Alex o'Loughlin

My WordPress Blog

Edinburgh woman fell from hotel balcony while getting ready for night out

An Edinburgh holidaymaker that was left in a coma after a horror balcony fall has now told how she had to learn to walk and talk again.

Jennifer Walsh was on holiday in Croatia with her pals when she fell from her hotel balcony whilst getting ready for a night out.

The 23-year-old was putting on her shoe when her foot got lodged and she toppled over the wall, falling some 40ft to the ground. The next thing Jennifer remembers vividly is waking up in hospital, having been put in a coma after the fall last October.

READ MORE: BBC Britain’s Top Takeaway viewers slam presenters as Edinburgh restaurant appears on show

The Daily Record report that Jennifer suffered a bleed on the brain, two separate skull fractures, a broken collar bone, a fractured wrist and broken ribs which punctured her lung.

She said: “I was in an apartment getting ready with friends we had met on a boat trip earlier that day.

Get all the latest news and headlines from Edinburgh, Fife and the Lothians sent straight to your inbox twice a day by signing up to our free newsletter.

From breaking news to the latest on the coronavirus crisis in Scotland, we’ll have you covered.

The morning newsletter arrives every day before 9am and the evening newsletter, manually curated by the team, is sent at 6.30pm, giving you a round up of the most important stories of the day.

To sign up, simply enter your email address into this link here and select Daily News.

“I went out to the balcony to collect my shoe and put it on but my foot got stuck on the balcony ledge.

“I then woke up in hospital a week later to see my mum in hospital. Everything in the middle is a total blur.

“Because I was on so much medication, to begin with I didn’t realise what had happened. I was too out of it to be scared.

“But now I can’t believe what happened, I’m just so happy to be here and healthy. I nearly died.”

Jennifer’s parents James, 48 and Victoria, 54, flew out to Croatia to be with their daughter’s hospital bedside after finding out the terrifying news.

Victoria said: “On the flight there, James and I were taking turns to cry. We were beside ourselves. Due to Covid, we could only visit Jennifer in hospital for 15 minutes.

Jennifer on holiday
Jennifer was placed in an induced coma.

“The amount of tears we shed at her bedside could have drowned her. To see your child unconscious is horrific.”

Jennifer, who worked in banking, had part of her skull removed to stop her brain bleed, with medics fearing her recovery would take up to six months.

But after waking from her coma, she was transferred to hospital in Edinburgh where she has had to learn to walk and talk again with the help of NHS medics at the capital’s Astley Ainslie Hospital.

Jennifer’s sister Sara, 21, had set up a fundraiser to have her flown home and support the family, raising more than £40,000.

Victoria added: “The kindness of strangers and the local community has been amazing.

“Sara set up the page and, without it, we don’t know what state Jennifer would be in. It’s so overwhelming.”

Jennifer in hospital
Jennifer Walsh had a titanium mesh put over the part of her skull

Last month, Jennifer had a titanium mesh put on the part of her skull that was removed, meaning it is fully protected.

While her speech “took a while” to come back, her recovery was dubbed “a miracle” by doctors.

Jennifer added: “I came out of the coma a different person.

“Before, I worried about how I looked and thought I was ugly and fat. From the minute I realised I had survived, I began loving myself.

“After the mesh surgery, my left eye was bruised and that side of my face was swollen, plus my head had to be completely shaved.

“But 10 days later, I was at Terminal V Festival in Edinburgh with my friends, fully back to normal and wearing a wig, which I love.

“I’m so happy to have recovered and I think that’s what pushes me to get better.”